Wednesday, August 11, 2010

what has been achieved?


In the past 3 days I have been involved in 3 different arguments...on Facebook. Yes, I will admit that I am one of those people who causes unnecessary problems for no reason other than self entertainment.

Day 1: A friend posted a video of a love song dedicated to his girlfriend of 4 days. She commented back saying something along the lines of "awww baby I love you : )" to which I commented saying "You guys are so in lust it makes me laugh!" Of course my wicked sense of humour was not widely appreciated and I got abused and insulted by the girl’s mother and best friend.

Day 2: Same couple. My friend this time posted a status about wanting to have a bbq. Several of our friends commented saying "yeah" and "sure" ect. I commented saying "Why not!?" what followed was a stream of 80+ comments involving my friend who wrote the post, his ex, his current girlfriend, his current girlfriends mum and best friend and of course me.

Day 3: This one was a little more complicated because it involved someone very close to my boyfriend. This guy can be a real dick at times, especially to his girlfriend. In short, his girlfriend is willing to change anything and everything about herself so that he can be with her and not want 'other girls'. Having the motto "Be yourself" I decided to put my own opinion in, and tell the girl (whose friends were all encouraging her to make the changes) that if he 'loves' her he wouldn’t ask her to change. I got told to eat a dick.

Now, in all 3 of the above situations, I was indeed sticking my nose into other peoples businesses, and maybe to an extent I did want to stir a bit of controversy. But can I justify these actions?

The answer is: Yes.

What these people have failed to realize is that Facebook is a social networking website. Whatever they post on there is open for discussion and is open for anyone on their friends list to have a say. Anything and everything on Facebook is able to be commented and frankly, if these people don’t want me having a say on what they are posting...they shouldn’t post it to begin with. I'm not the real trouble maker here...all I am doing is looking at my news feed and having a say about whatever post takes my interest.

Everyone should be (and in most cases ARE) aware that when they put something up on Facebook, they are putting it out there for praise and criticism. Sympathy and insult. Not everyone will have the same opinion.
I personally do not post things on my Facebook that I don’t want ALL of my friends to know. My mates don’t need to know the extent of my period pains. They don’t need to know that my boyfriend and I are having a major argument and that I hate him. And if there was a case where they did need to know...I would only post what is necessary, and would be fully aware that there is potential backlash in what I have to say.

So, by causing all that conflict and upset...did I achieve anything? Did I get it through to these people’s heads that if they don’t want something to be criticized...they should watch what they say? I guess I will have to keep following their posts to find out.

But the message here is: If you don’t want people commenting on your love life or you’re other dramas then don’t post it up on Facebook. Simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment