Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Probably my final entry, Lets make it a good one.

While skimming my brain over what i could write about this week, I realized that the semester is basically over, with only one more week of classes to go. I figured this final entry should therefore (respectively) be about Digital Media Cultures. The seminars, the assessments, and many of the things that I have learnt.

I will be the first to admit that I wasn't always punctual when it came to attendance. Due to other commitments I would be required to sometimes leave early, when I did get to come to class. I will also admit that I found myself, several times, questioning weather the clock on the wall was actually working or if the battery had died a long long time ago. My note book is cluttered with pages and pages of graffiti, perhaps more so than actual class notes. And sometimes, but only sometimes, I wondered if the class would ever end.

However, now that it is coming to a close, like all things that end, I begin to reflect on what was a great learning experience. It may seem slightly exaggerated, however the above paragraph might make you rethink accusing me of dishonesty. This entry, like I mentioned above, is all about reflection.


I remember when we had our first seminar. I didn't know what to expect...Peter looked like a fair decent guy, but I felt slightly intimidated by him. still, the introduction to the subject went smoothly, and what started off in a tiny class room for 70+ students, ended up in a larger class room with less students. For the first few weeks, I was still unsure about what I would be learning in the classes, it seemed like it would be a bit of an easy walk in the park.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

DMC proved to be one of the most difficult and challenging subjects I have ever undertaken. The readings were completely foreign, as if they were in a language I don't speak. In the seminars, on several occasions we were required to get into groups to work on a small group activity or discussion. I did not enjoy it at all. I felt that we were constantly being pushed into the group activities which made me very intimidated and extremely self conscious. I felt like, at times when the people in my groups knew exactly what to say, I hadn't even understood what exactly we were meant to be discussing. As a result, I was too nervous to speak up some of the time.

However it wasn't all so negative. I enjoyed the topics we talked about, especially privacy. I liked being able to discuss and learn about the issue at the same time, and with Peter elaborating constantly, I took an interest and felt that I did understand and was at the same level as everyone else. I liked that people with different thoughts and opinions were able to freely share them without a single bit of hesitation.

Overall, DMC was a great subject. The seminars were convenient, and 3 hours on one day may have been draining, but it made taking it all in much easier.

Finally, DMC was a academic journey that I am glad that I took. It has opened up my eyes to the media further, and has helped me thing from different perspectives. I have acquired some great skills from doing this subject, and am glad I chose it.

Good luck with your subjects next year guys, and thanks for checking out my blog.

Seher.

No comments:

Post a Comment